Winter can be a particularly challenging time for homeowners when it comes to maintaining their plumbing systems. With freezing temperatures and increased precipitation, blocked drains in Geelong are a common occurrence. However, with a few simple precautions and proactive steps, homeowners can avoid them and ensure their plumbing systems are in good condition all winter.
In this blog post, we’ll discuss some of the best strategies for homeowners to avoid problems like blocked drains in Geelong, especially during the winter months.
Why Do Drains Get Blocked in Winter?
Before we delve into how to prevent blocked drains in winter, let’s first understand why it happens in the first place.
During winter, temperatures in Geelong often drop below zero during the winter months, causing the water in the pipes to freeze and expand. This puts pressure on the pipes, eventually leading to cracked or burst pipes. Heavy snow and rainfall also cause debris to build up in the gutters and drains, further exacerbating the issue.
With all these factors at play, homeowners must take preventive measures to avoid blocked drains in Geelong during the winter months.
Geelong Plumbers Share Tips & Strategies to Tackle Blocked Drain Problems During Winters
Plumbing professionals in Geelong observe that one of the most prevalent plumbing concerns in the area, especially during winter. However, they state that homeowners can easily tackle this problem by taking extra measures to protect their pipes and plumbing systems.
In today’s blog, we share some highly effective tips and strategies shared by professional plumbers. So, go ahead and look at them before winter sets in to avoid blocked drain problems in Geelong and the inconvenience caused by them.
Keep Drains Clear of Debris
One of the easiest and most effective ways to avoid blocked drains in Geelong is to keep them clear of debris, such as leaves, twigs, etc., accumulating in the gutters and downpipes. If left unattended, gradual accumulation of this debris leads to drain blockages, causing the water to back up the pipes and problems like backflowing drains, flooding, etc.
To keep your drains clear of debris, make sure to:
- Regularly clean your gutters and downpipes to remove any debris that might have accumulated.
- Install a leaf guard to prevent leaves and debris from entering the gutters and downpipes.
- Do not pour grease, oil, or food scraps down the drain.
- Dispose of cooking oils and fats in the bin, not down the sink.
- Scrape plates and dishes into the bin before washing them.
- Run hot water down the drain once a week to melt any grease or oils that may have accumulated.
- Use a plunger or drain snake to clear any clogs immediately rather than letting them accumulate.
Check What You Drain
Professionals state that a common reason that causes blocked drain problems in Geelong is pouring the wrong things down the drain. Grease and oils, in particular, solidify on cooling and settle on the walls of the drains, clogging them and causing a blockage.
We often consume more fatty and oily foods during winter, making it even more important to be mindful of what we pour down the drain.
To avoid blocked drains caused by grease and oils, make sure to:
- Pour cooking oil and grease into a container and dispose of them in the bin.
- Scrape excess food off plates and utensils before washing them in the sink or dishwasher.
- Avoid pouring coffee grounds, tea leaves, and other food waste down the drain. These can accumulate and cause a blockage.
Insulate Your Pipes
As mentioned earlier, freezing temperatures can cause the water in the pipes to freeze and expand. This phenomenon puts pressure on the pipes, leading to cracked or burst pipes. You can prevent this from happening by insulating your pipes.
You can insulate your pipes by:
- Wrapping them with insulation foam or tape.
- Sealing any gaps or holes in the walls or floors around the pipes.
- Pay special attention to pipes in unheated areas, such as the attic or garage.
- Use thicker insulation in colder areas for better protection.
- Remember to insulate your hot water pipes as well as your cold water pipes.
- Check the insulation regularly to ensure it is still in good condition, and replace any damaged or worn insulation.
Be Mindful of Landscaping
Landscaping can also contribute to blocked drains, especially during heavy rainfall or snowfall. As a homeowner, you must always stay mindful of the landscaping on your property to prevent debris and foliage from accumulating in your gutters and downpipes and causing a blockage.
Blocked drain specialists in Geelong recommend that if you have a garden or lawn on your property, make sure to:
- Trim back any overhanging trees or bushes that could shed leaves or debris into the gutters or downpipes.
- Avoid planting trees or shrubs near your plumbing system, as their roots can damage pipes and cause blockages.
- Regularly clean your gutters, especially before and after heavy rainfall or snowfall.
- Install gutter guards to prevent debris from entering the gutters.
Get Regular Plumbing Maintenance
Regular plumbing maintenance can help prevent blocked drains and identify potential issues before they complicate and become serious health and safety concerns. A professional blocked drain expert in Geelong can inspect your plumbing system, clean your drains, and provide any necessary repairs or upgrades.
Professionals in the area recommend that homeowners check their plumbing system at least once a year, especially before the winter months when blocked drains are more likely to occur.
Seek Professional Help
If you’ve tried all these preventive measures and still have blocked drains in Geelong, it may be time to seek professional help. A professional plumber can diagnose the problem and provide a long-term solution to avoid further blockages in the future.
Some signs that you need professional help include the following:
- A persistent foul smell comes from your drains
- Slow-draining water in your sinks, showers, or tubs
- Water backing up from your drains
- Gurgling sounds coming from your drains
It’s important to note that DIY attempts to fix a blocked drain can often worsen the problem, leading to more costly repairs. Therefore, it is always best to seek a professional, such as Your Local Plumbing, if you suspect a blockage.
Find Trustworthy & Dependable Blocked Drain Experts in Geelong
Blocked drains can be a frustrating and costly problem, especially during the winter months in Geelong. However, the professionals at Your Local Plumbing observe that by taking a few simple precautions and being proactive, you can ensure your plumbing system continues to function optimally all winter.
Do you need assistance with your blocked drains or other plumbing issues? Connect with the experts at YLP for a prompt and professional resolution of your concerns.